This season was lots of fun as always. I had 2 antelope tags, a deer tag, elk tag, and wished I had a bear tag. Antelope started on Aug. 15 and I had a few saturdays to try and stick one with a bow. I saw some good deer while out and was excited for September to start. We had a really moist spring and the results on the deer were apparent. About this same time, a forest fire started right in the heart of our elk area and the trails and roads in were cloded on and off. They didn't expect full containment until the snow was flying this fall. Some good stalks put me at full draw on some decent antleope, but no shots presented themselves.
Jason Goodrich and I backpacked into some wilderness area that looked good on a map. To no avail there just wasn't the elk sign we expected and not a bugle to be heard. We did see two different sets of sows and cubs. Only the second time, as the sow came charging in to our cow calls to 20 yards did we have the bear spray out ready to get western. She ran off without incident. A couple more trips to the Bighorns still wasn't enough to overcome my streak of no elk.
Rifle season started and two antelope tags were filled, meanwhile the monster deer I was hoping for never showed his head and that tag went unfilled. Thus the end of hunting season and on to swim lessons with Eli. Maybe next year he will be the good luck I need to get into some elk. Until then more practice and 3d shoots with the bow. Maybe a new shooting partner (Sandra) to boot.
Jason Goodrich and I backpacked into some wilderness area that looked good on a map. To no avail there just wasn't the elk sign we expected and not a bugle to be heard. We did see two different sets of sows and cubs. Only the second time, as the sow came charging in to our cow calls to 20 yards did we have the bear spray out ready to get western. She ran off without incident. A couple more trips to the Bighorns still wasn't enough to overcome my streak of no elk.
Rifle season started and two antelope tags were filled, meanwhile the monster deer I was hoping for never showed his head and that tag went unfilled. Thus the end of hunting season and on to swim lessons with Eli. Maybe next year he will be the good luck I need to get into some elk. Until then more practice and 3d shoots with the bow. Maybe a new shooting partner (Sandra) to boot.
1 comment:
Next year can't come soon enough. There is always coyote hunting and the spring bear hunt to keep our spirits up until next September!!!
Post a Comment